Home-Cooked Foods

When I was living far far away from my family last 2011 to 2013, I learned so much about eating survival. Since the cost of dining out will put my pocket in despair, I decided to cook for myself for breakfast, lunch and dinner/supper. I admit I seldom visited fast-food chains, well just because I wanted to save more penny. hehe.. I went to several restaurants though and I will tell that they have superb servings plus the food is really great. We will say in Tagalog that the food serving is really "pang-dalawang tao" (a food serving is for two average-eaters).

What I like most about those foods I've savored were the "SALADS"! I Loooooove veggies a lot and it's so mouth-watering when they are mixed with those pecans, spinach, and blue cheese!! (missing the food in the cafeteria :|) I always think about the "burrito bowl" I had in NY, MA, and NH and the quesadillas. I've also had a very nice co-worker who will let me try some frozen-prepared foods. Those are new to me because we do not have much of frozen ready-to-eat foods in our country. The pre-packed food, I know how some of those were made by watching TV.They taste better but I think will still stick to home-cooked food more unless I have no time to prepare my food. 

I am not a chef, thus my cooked food won't taste good for the pro but I can follow cooking vids carefully to give the delicious treat a try. Some of those I cooked were adobo and mechado. Adobo variety has a base ingredient called "soy sauce" which typical American grocery store don't have (I was only able to buy from the Asian section).  Mechado type of viands are prepared mainly with tomato sauce, which is the major ingredient. 

        
                                                                                Adobong Pusit (Squid)

                  

"Beef Mechado"

Cooking Procedure:
1. Heat cooking oil in a pan then saute the garlic and onion.
2. Put-in the beef and saute for about 3 minutes or until color turns light brown

3. Add the tomato sauce and water then simmer until the meat is tender. Add water as needed.
4. Add the soy sauce, ground black pepper, lemon rind, laurel leaves, cummin, paprika and salt then simmer until excess liquid evaporates
5. Put-in the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft (about 15 to 25 minutes)
6. Place in a serving plate then serve hot with rice. Share and Enjoy!










Adobong Manok sa Gata (Coconut Milk Chicken Adobo)

My kid said she can't get enough of mama's chicken adobo [but this photo does not look presentable though :( ] It is every mother's goal and duty to make sure that we cook what our kid(s)s like(s) so they/he/she will eat a lot.

Ingredients:
• 1 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces
• 1/3 cup white vinegar
• 2 to 3 tbsp. soy sauce
• 2 tbsp. crushed garlic
• salt to taste
• 1/4 tsp. pepper (or 1 tsp. peppercorn)
•  water
• 3/4 cup coconut milk
• chili pepper
• 1 tbsp. oil



Cooking Procedure:
1. In a deep skillet, brown chicken in oil.
2. Combine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt (to taste) and pepper (or peppercorn). Stir to blend and then add into the brown chicken.
3. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and allow simmering uncovered for about 10 minutes. If the sauce is reduced add about 1/2 cup water.
4. Cover and continue simmering until chicken is tender. Pour coconut milk and add the chili pepper.
5. Cook for another few more minutes to thicken the sauce.
6. Remove from heat. Transfer into a serving dish and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment